Gluten-free cupcakes: FINALLY! I’ve been wanting a recipe for gluten-free cupcakes for a while now, but by gluten-free I really mean flourless (or almond flour), since I don’t care to learn the intricacies of gluten-free flour mixing. It seems, well, complicated. One of my favorite gluten-free desserts is this flourless chocolate torte, but I didn’t think it would translate well to cupcakes.
After doing some hunting, I found a recipe from Kate From Scratch — it looked like a great place to start! A few tweaks, and here we are with my flourless chocolate cupcakes.
These are dense, chocolatey, and more cake-like than any flourless dessert I’ve ever made (as opposed to gooey/fudgelike). They were fabulous! Throw on some frosting, and you have a pretty darn delicious dessert. If you’re dairy free too, just substitute your butter replacement (I like smart balance) and it should work just fine!Print
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate (1/2 cup chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chopped into pieces
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
- cupcake liners
- 4 ounces regular cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and chocolate and melt in 30 second increments until the butter is completely melted.
- Whisk until the chocolate is also melted, and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the brown sugar and salt, then eggs, until smooth.
- Sift the cocoa powder and espresso powder into the mixture, and mix until combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
- Bake until the tops are set, about 15 minutes.
- Let fully cool before frosting.
- For frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter together in a stand mixer. Mix until fully incorporated, light, and fluffy. Add the cocoa powder, then powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth, then divide evenly among cupcakes.