- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- zest of one lemon (2–3 Tbsp)
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Butter a 9×13 baking dish and fit with parchment paper.
- Grate the butter with a cheese grater, and add to the flour, powdered sugar, and salt. Mix together until crumbly.
- Press the mixture into the prepared dish, and freeze for 30 minutes. The mixture will be very soft and powdery – not at all wet and sticky.
- Preheat the oven to 350, and bake the chilled crust for 16-18 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, mix together the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, zest, lemon juice, and salt.
- When the crust is done, pour the lemon mixture over the hot crust and return to oven at 325 F. Bake until the edges are starting to brown, about 18 minutes.
- Cool, in the pan, on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before removing the bars from the pan. Let the bars cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar and cutting into squares.