If I'm an expert on ANYTHING, it might be weekends. I won't lie to you, I'm pretty good at them. Like, really good. If the mood calls for it, I can have a fiesta-full weekend, bopping from social event to social event, filled with sporting activities galore. Super fun. Lot's o' action. This weekend was NOT one of those weekends. This weekend was a "relax like you've never had a moment off in your life" kind of weekend. And, of course, I rocked it.
Maybe the grey, drizzly weather here in Bozeman called for it, or maybe I had just worked really hard last week. Either way, I was happy to sleep in, lounge on the couch, and generally do nothing for most of the weekend. I definitely don't think I could do this every weekend, or even every other weekend; however, when you need it you need it! I'm ready for this week like you wouldn't believe! BRING IT!
While I did a bit of cooking this weekend, a major source of my sustenance came from these lemon bars. They are really, really, addicting. I know I've told you all before that my roommate (ha!) has a low tolerance for overly-sweet desserts. When it doubt, go for tangy! With that, and horrible school-cafeteria-lemon-bar memories, in mind, I set out to make some lemon bars that were extremely lemony and not overly sweet.
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- ¾ tsp salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ⅓ cups granulated sugar
- zest of one lemon (2-3 Tbsp)
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Butter a 9x13 baking dish and fit with parchment paper.
- Grate the butter with a cheese grater, and add to the flour, powdered sugar, and salt. Mix together until crumbly.
- Press the mixture into the prepared dish, and freeze for 30 minutes. The mixture will be very soft and powdery - not at all wet and sticky.
- Preheat the oven to 350, and bake the chilled crust for 16-18 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, mix together the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, zest, lemon juice, and salt.
- When the crust is done, pour the lemon mixture over the hot crust and return to oven at 325 F. Bake until the edges are starting to brown, about 18 minutes.
- Cool, in the pan, on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before removing the bars from the pan. Let the bars cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar and cutting into squares.