- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, separated
- 2 tsp ground vanilla
- 1/4 cup lemon zest
- 4 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 9 oz ricotta
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal
- Flaked almonds, to decorated
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter a 9" springform pan (or other cake pan), and line with buttered parchment paper.
- With a mixer, cream the butter and 1 cup sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and lemon zest, beat again until fully combined.
- Add the egg yolks to the mixture, one at a time, mixing fully between each.
- Mix in the ricotta, until smooth.
- Add the almond meal, and mix until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip the eggwhites until soft peaks form. Slowly add the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. In three batches, fold the egg whites into the almond meal batter. Continue folding until completely smooth and incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until not longer jiggly in the middle. Remove, and let cool completely before topping with flaked almonds and dusting with powdered sugar.