- 4 cups chopped root vegetables (I used beets, parsnips, sweet potato, and carrot)
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil (divided)
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking pan with foil.
- Toss the vegetables in 1 tsp olive oil with a liberal amount of salt & pepper, plus the smoked paprika. Spread in an even layer on the baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes*.
- After 30 minutes, drizzle the syrup over the veggies and stir briefly to coat them. Bake for another 15 minutes, or until the pieces are fork-tender.
- While the veggies are cooking, add the final 1/2 tsp of oil to the kale and use your hands to massage for about 1 minute.
- To serve, top the kale with the veggies and walnuts!
Cook time will greatly depend on the veggies you choose, and the size of the pieces. I cut my roots into fairly large (1″ sq) pieces. You want to add the maple syrup about 15 minutes before they’ll be done, so be aware!