- 1 pie crust
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp finely grated grapefruit zest
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup strained ruby/pink grapefruit juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb, 1″ pieces
- Assemble all ingredients ahead of time, since you’ll want to pour the liquid into the pie crust while it is still hot!
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Roll out the pie dough and fit to your pan. Prick the dough with a fork, line with parchment and pie weights, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the parchment and weights, cook for another 4-5- minutes, then remove from the oven.
- While the crust is cooking, combine the grapefruit zest and the sugar. Using clean fingers, rub them together until fully incorporated and fragrant. Whisk in the flour and salt, then the eggs (one at a time).
- Whisk in the melted butter, then the grapefruit juice, and then the heavy cream.
- When the crust is done, put the rhubarb into the crust, and pour the custard mixture over it until it is quite full (it doesn’t puff up really at all, so don’t worry about overflowing).
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325F and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the edges are set and the center is wobbly but not liquidy.
- Remove from the oven and allow to come to room temperature before serving, or refrigerating.