This year has two themes for me, food-wise: peanut sauce and chimichurri. They're both so addicting and versatile! I shared a bowl with peanut sauce last week, so I guess this week we'll get to chimichurri!
This salad is pretty straightforward — veggies, crunch, sweet fruit, and STEAK! Chimichurri serves as a great topping for steak, and doubles as the salad dressing on this salad. How can you go wrong? You can't.
Short and sweet today! Enjoy! xo
Chimichurri serves as a salad dressing on this massaged kale salad, which pairs perfectly with steak! Sweet strawberries and crunchy toasted pecans give this salad a unique twist, while shredded beets keep it earthy.
For the chimichurri
- 5 garlic cloves
- ⅛ cup fresh oregano
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
For the salad
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded raw beets
- 8 oz fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 1lb steak (I used flank steak)
- Begin by making the chimichurri. Combine all ingredients, except for salt and pepper, together in a food processor or blender. Pulse until nearly smooth, but not a paste. Add salt and pepper to taste, and more oil if necessary to reach your desired consistency. Set aside.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Using your hands, massage the kale until it has noticeably softened — 2-3 minutes.
- Once the kale has softened, mix in the shredded beets, quartered strawberries, and toasted pecans. Set aside.
- Season both sides of your steak liberally with salt and pepper. If you’re grilling, cook to medium-rare. If you’re cooking inside, preheat the oven to 450F and heat a skillet to high heat. Sear the steak for 2 minutes on each side before putting in the oven for 5 minutes (this could change depending on how thick the steak is). Use a thermometer to determine when it hits 140F, then remove from the oven. Transfer the steak to a plate and cover with foil for 10 minutes before slicing it into strips.
- Serve the salad topped with sliced steak and generous dollops of chimichurri!