Oh, you’re welcome! In advance, I mean. You’re welcome for these brownies. #sodelicious
It’s Friday, you’re psyched for the weekend, you’ve (hopefully) had an AWESOME week, you (hopefully) have AWESOME plans for the weekend: life is great, right? Right. But what would make it even better? Well, these brownies. Obviously. (I almost just wrote “obvi” there and then decided I would rather punch myself in the face. Sorry ’bout that).
I’ve been trying to get my hands on some macadamia nuts for a long time. When we were in Hawaii last year we ate altogether too many chocolate-covered macadamia nuts (as if that is even possible), but since then I haven’t had even ONE. They just don’t seem to sell mac nuts in Bozeman! I broke down a few weeks ago and ordered some online… hallelujah! I’m in mac nut heaven! I’ll share some more elaborate mac nut creations eventually (I have BIG plans!), but this little treat was a hit at our house this week.
If I’m being totally honest with you, which I do try to be, the “mocha” part of this recipe was completely an accident and 100% due to my sloppiness. I was, instead of using a measuring spoon, “gently” shaking some instant espresso powder out of the jar for my normal brownie recipe. I think it calls for 1 teaspoon. My clumsy self must have had an arm-jerk whoopsie-daisy, because all of a sudden there was a LOT more espresso powder than I had been aiming for. Not exactly easy to scoop out. Oh well! Mocha brownies: welcome to my world — you were delicious!
My favorite part of this recipe, as with many chocolate recipes I’ve made, is the ganache. WOW. I have a hard time not drinking the (hot) ganache before it even cools/makes it onto my dessert. Don’t leave it out! It takes the brownies to a “OMG” level of dense-chocolateyness. You’ll thank me later. Or maybe not. Maybe go for a run today? Good plan.Print
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cups Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp espresso powder
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Spread the macadamia nuts out on a baking sheet and bake for 4 minutes, then mix/flip, and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Prepare an 8×8 pan with butter and parchment paper.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the sugar and cook for another minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the cocoa, then salt. Stir to combine, and let cool 5 minutes.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, then the eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the baking powder, espresso powder, and flour. Combine with the wet ingredients and mix to just barely combine.
- Coarsely chop or crush the macadamia nuts. Mix 3/4 of the nuts, and 3/4 cup chocolate chips, into the batter.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, and bake at 350 F for 23-25 minutes. The top should have a flakey layer and edges should be set, but not darkened.
- Let the brownies cool completely before proceeding.
- Heat the heavy cream in the microwave until almost boiling. Remove, add remaining chocolate chips, and let sit for 90 seconds.
- Stir the cream and chocolate chips until completely smooth. Let cool slightly (it will thicken as it cools).
- Spread the remaining crushed nuts over the top of the brownies, then pour the ganache over top. Let set at least one hour before slicing, preferably more.