This flavorful cake has big crumbs, tangy rhubarb, and a delicious swirl of cream cheese throughout.
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk*
- enough rhubarb to cover the top of an 8×8″ dish with a single layer
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8oz full fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, and prepare an 8×8″ baking dish with butter and parchment paper.
- First, mix together all of the ingredients for the crumbs and whisk until smooth. Pat it down in the bottom of a bowl, and set aside to cool and harden.
- To make the batter, cream the sugars and butter together in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Add the eggs one at a time, and then the vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cake flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Alternate adding half of the dry mixture and half of the milk to the wet ingredients in the stand mixer bowl. When everything has been added, mix just until incorporated (do not overmix).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cream cheese swirl ingredients together until smooth.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter evenly in your prepared pan, then add the cream cheese layer, and top with the remaining batter. Use a butter knife to gently swirl the layers together, using an up-and-down movement as you move the knife around the batter.
- Top with rhubarb (sliced however you’d like, or not sliced at all) in a single layer.
- Use your hands to break the crumb into large chunks, and sprinkle those over the rhubarb.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out without batter on it.
I used Pacific Foods Organic Oat Beverage, but you could use any milk or milk alternative.
Keywords: rhubarb coffee cake, rhubarb crumb cake