This post is sponsored by Dr. Praeger's. Thank you for supporting the brands who keep The Kitchen Paper alive!
OOH THESE TOTS! They're sweet. They're spicy. They're full of umami and CUTE LITTLE BONITO FLAKES WAVE AT YOU! Sorry for yelling. It's true tho — these are topped with bonito flakes which, due to the heat, dance around on top of the tots. SO cute. Also, they're full of veggies! Dr. Praeger's FTW with tasty, healthy, quick n' easy meal bases.
These tots were inspired by a dish I often order from a local ramen place here in Portland. They are served in a hot skillet with a bottom layer of sweet soy something, then the tots, then a spicy/creamy sauce, topped with bonito and nori. Um. Yes. I love them. So I set out to quasi-recreate them! I have no insider information on their recipe, so this is all just what I thought would taste good — and it sure does!!
Have a wonderful rest of your week, and hopefully some time off for the holidays! xo
Spicy Asian Veggie Tots
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
These spicy veggie tots are served hot over a sweet garlic and soy sauce, and topped with a creamy spicy sauce, along with bonito flakes, nori, and furikake.
- 2 boxes of Dr. Praeger's Kale Puffs
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp mirin
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt (I used Greek)
- 2 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1 Tbsp furikake
- ⅛ cup chopped nori
- ¼ cup bonito flakes
- Preheat the oven to 450F, and cook the Dr. Praeger's Kale Puffs according to directions and until very crispy.
- While the puffs are cooking, heat your skillet over medium heat, then add the sesame oil.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds before adding the soy sauce, fish sauce, honey, and mirin.
- Whisk to combine, and bring to a simmer. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has reduced to a thick sauce — 10-15 minutes.
- In a separate dish, stir together the yogurt and Sriracha until smooth. Set aside.
- When the sauce has thickened and the puffs are done, remove the sauce from the heat. Layer the puffs in the skillet on top of the sauce. Drizzle the spicy yogurt over top of the puffs, then spinkle on the furikake, nori, and bonito flakes.
- Eat while warm!
Leave a Reply