I know cranberry and turkey sandwiches are a thing after Thanksgiving, but as someone who doesn’t love turkey I propose we move to cranberry pork sandwiches. Are ya with me? Who doesn’t love pulled pork? Pork shoulder + slow cooker = tasty, melty, delicious meal with minimal effort.
This sandwich has a few key components. First, clearly, the cranberry pork. I threw fresh cranberries and a big ol’ pork shoulder in the slow cooker (along with some other goodies) and let it cook slowly through the day. By the end of the day it was easy to shred with forks and put on this sandwich! So so tasty. Second, apple fennel slaw. Oh. My. Goodness. I didn’t even think I liked cole slaw until I made this! Even better: you can make it ahead of time! Third: quick cranberry sauce. I just simmered my extra cranberries on the stove with a tiny bit of water and sugar for a quick cranberry sauce – easy, fast, and a great addition to the sandwich.
Last and certainly not least – because you cannot have a sandwich or a slider without the bread — Dave’s Killer Bread Rock ‘N’ Rolls®! These limited-edition rolls are so soft. I ended up eating a lot of them plain (or with butter!), to be honest, because I loved the texture so much! Along side that amazing light texture, they pack a punch with 8 grams of whole grains per serving. They’re made with real, organic sweet potato and a sprinkle of cinnamon spice. They don’t use any weird additives, dough fillers, artificial preservatives, or high fructose corn syrup (YAY!). As if you needed any more convincing: they’re certified USDA organic, Non-GMO, and vegan!
What are your go-to post-Thanksgiving meals?Print
Slow cooker cranberry pulled pork sliders are topped with a tasty apple fennel slaw for a delicious fall sandwich!
- 2lb pork shoulder
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 6oz fresh cranberries
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup broth (I used chicken, but you could use veggie or other)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1” ginger root, minced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
Apple Fennel Slaw
- 1 green apple
- 1/2 of a small Napa cabbage
- 1 fresh fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper
Quick Cranberry Sauce
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/8 cup sugar
- Lightly rub the salt & pepper evenly around the pork shoulder. Add it, along with the remaining pork shoulder ingredients, to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours
- To make the slaw, slice the apple, cabbage, and fennel in the thinnest slices you can manage (especially the fennel). In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and about 1/4 each salt & pepper. Combine with the sliced apple, cabbage, and fennel. Toss to combine.
- For the quick cranberry sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring and squishing the cranberries as they soften. Once thickened (10-15 minutes), taste and add more sugar if needed.
- When the pork is done use two forks to shred it in the crock pot (or you may remove it, but then put it back and mix with the juices!).
- To assemble the sliders, layer a small handful of arugula, pork, slaw, and cranberry sauce on a Dave’s Killer Bread Organic Sweet Potato Rock n’ Roll.
Keywords: cranberry pulled pork sliders