Yesterday was a BEAUTIFUL day. It was sunny, warm (mid 50's!), and definitely felt like spring. Seeing as we still haven't had a real winter here, I keep expecting that it will come late and every other season will be pushed back as well. Judging by the weather yesterday, perhaps we'll just skip winter entirely and move forward to warmer weather! I'm totally jiggy with that. We can still ski in the mountains (or California, like we will be doing next week!), but it's gorgeous here in town! Excellent.
These cookies were an experiment I'd been considering for a while. I'd never baked with avocado before, but it seems straightforward enough, so I jumped on in and gave it a go! It turned out, almost surprisingly, delicious! Simply replace the butter with avocado, and BOOM: GREEN COOKIES! They don't taste like avocado at all, which I suppose is slightly disappointing for those of us who love avocado, but they're great cookies!
Don't judge these babies. They're yummy, green, and you can claim them as health food. I sure do.Print
Green Monster Chocolate Chip Cookies (with avocado!)
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 cookies 1x
A healthy take on a chocolate chip cookie with a surprising tint.
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup avocado, fresh
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (about 12 ounces) semisweet and/or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- With a mixer, cream the avocado until smooth. Add sugars, mix to incorporate. Add the vanilla, and then eggs, one at a time. Mix until smooth. Add the flour mixture and gently mix to incorporate. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for 30+ minutes before scooping onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet in ⅛ cup balls, then flatten slightly. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until tops begin to brown slightly.
- These cookies are best enjoyed the same day they are baked.
So going to do this! Plus I have fresh avocados. Hope it works with gluten free flour... will let you know.
Yesss! Awesome! I hope they work!
These look super interesting. Are they chewy or crispy?
Definitely chewy - the outside had a bit of a shell to it, but the inside was definitely soft and chewy!
This is so intriguing! Definitely the first cookie with avocado in it that I have seen--I would love to try this!