Lime is, without a doubt, in my top three favorite fruit flavors. Try saying that three times fast! Lime popsicles are by far the best flavor out there, lime candies are delicious, and now: lime soup. I was a bit skeptical, but the flavor in this soup is truly amazing. It is quite spicy, but the lime gives an almost cooling sensation and a depth to the flavor I hadn’t experienced before.
This soup is also quite easy – just cook the onions for a bit, add garlic, toss in the chicken, then the chiles and broth, and let it simmer for a bit before adding the final touches! I made this on a weeknight and had no issues with timing – it’s quick!
A hearty chicken soup with a hint of spice from adobo and a delicious lime zest.
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons adobo sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnishing
- Juice of 2 large limes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Heat the oil in a large pot, then add onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat for about 8 minutes, or until onion is beginning to brown.
- Push the onion to one side of the pot, and add the chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes while turning the pieces, allowing it to brown slightly.
- Stir in chopped chipotles and sauce before adding the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add frozen corn 5 minutes before serving.
- Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and lime juice, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top each bowl with sliced avocado, cilantro, and serve with tortilla chips.