This post is sponsored by Pacific Foods — a brand I've loved and used for many years! Thank you for supporting the brands who keep The Kitchen Paper up and running.
Welcome to your new favorite (ridiculously easy) meal: red pepper tomato baked gnocchi. This dish takes almost zero effort. I’m not exaggerating: it’s really ridiculously easy, and only has five ingredients. New year new ... fast dinner? Sure. We'll go with that.
I wasn't honestly sure this recipe idea was going to work, but it definitely did! The thing that worried me was this: I didn't cook the gnocchi in water — I cooked it in Pacific Foods Organic Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup. Talk about CREAMY! This soup is phenomenal. Anywho — IT WORKED. The gnocchi soaked the soup right up (I wasn't even using fresh gnocchi — I was using the vacuum packed kind from the dry foods section!), and was absolutely perfect. In true Mary style, I added kale and basil, then topped the whole thing with cheese. So. Easy.
I've made this recipe a few times now, experimenting with various cooking techniques. Originally I thought I'd go for minimal interaction: throw it all together and toss it in the oven. It works, but it takes a little bit longer (bringing the soup up to temperature in the oven takes a while). If you go that route, just make sure you allow more time. I also tried putting the cheese in from the beginning: again, it works, but isn't ideal. Since the soup is still rather soupy at the beginning, some of it gets above the cheese, and it doesn't end up very pretty.
In the end, I settled on this technique: heat the soup on stove, then (again, we have options here) either add the gnocchi and continue to cook on the stove, or add the gnocchi and put it in the oven. Either way, the soup is up to temp so it shouldn't take that long (oven will be slightly slower though!). Use shredded low-moisture mozzarella, applied at the very end, and broiled for just a few minutes (until melted and browning).
Then EAT! And enjoy!Print
This red pepper and tomato baked gnocchi has five ingredients, including kale and basil, and takes minimal effort. You'll have a creamy, melty, delicious pot of gnocchi ready for dinner in no time!
- 4 cups (1 32oz container) Pacific Foods Organic Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- 2lbs uncooked gnocchi
- 2 cups chopped kale
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 ½ cups shredded low-moisture mozzarella
- In a medium, oven-safe saucepan over medium heat: bring the soup to a simmer.
- Add the gnocchi and basil and cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes (or until fully cooked). It will take longer than the 2-3 minutes on the instructions, since we're not cooking it in water.
- A few minutes before the gnocchi is done, stir in the kale.
- When the gnocchi is done, sprinkle the cheese over the top in an even layer. Broil on the top rack for a few minutes, until the cheese is melted and browning (it took my oven 2 minutes).
- Serve hot!
Keywords: baked gnocchi, red pepper and tomato gnocchi, baked pasta, gnocchi in soup, pasta in soup