Throwback Thursday! This recipe is from waaaay back when I first started blogging and had no idea what to do with a camera. Every Thursday I’ll be featuring an “old” recipe with a little makeover! These black bean cakes are one of my favorite easy vegetarian dinners — they’re ridiculously simple to throw together, and everybody loves them. Don’t forget the sour cream (with green onions!) and avocado salsa! YUM! The rest of this post is from the original post years ago!
In other news, these little black bean cakes are ADDICTIVE! They seem so simple – really only requiring a few ingredients – yet they taste so good. These are a great summer meal or appetizer, or if you just had your first snow of the year (as we did here in Bozeman last weekend), they remind you of warmer days. Ha! Really though, these are delicious, easy to make, and quite healthy too.
In a nutshell, take some black beans and grind them up with cumin and salsa, add bread crumbs and green onions and pat them into little (or big, either way) patties. Bake them, and serve with two equally delicious-yet-simple toppings! Dinner, tonight.
Simple Black Bean Cakes
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3-4
- Black Bean Cakes
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Green Onion Cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Avocado Salsa
- 1 cup diced peeled avocado
- 1 cup diced plum tomato
- 4 tsp. fresh lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a food processor, combine salsa, cumin, salt, and black beans. Run until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup bread crumbs and green onions.
- Put the other 1/2 cup of bread crumbs in a shallow dish or plate. By hand (wet hands are best), form bean mixture into patties 1/2 inch thick, then dip each side in the bread crumbs before placing on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- To prepare the toppings, simply combine the sour cream with the green onions in one bowl, and the avocado, tomato, and lime juice in another bowl.
- Serve hot or cold with generous amounts of both toppings.