Helloooo Monday! How was your weekend!? Mine was mostly uneventful… except that I sliced off part of my thumb (MOM DON’T WORRY IT’S JUST A CUT) making more sauerkraut, I bottled my first batch of homemade kombucha (instructions to come eventually!), ate delicious Cuban food, and successfully survived the heatwave that is now (YAY!) over. Also I listened to “can’t feel my face” about ten thousand times. AND I scored an ENTIRE HUGE BOX OF PIZZA for $5. NBD. It pays to stay up late! Now onto the week! AND TACOS!
It’s been a while since we’ve talked about tacos. I mean, they’re still a near-daily part of my life (fo reals. the frequency with which I eat tacos is alarming), but they haven’t made it on the blog in ages! These suckers are worth it: CHERRY PICO DE GALLO OMG! All that means it that I took fresh cherries and mixed it with tomato, lime, and onion. Easy!
Last week I tried to go to a taco place near my house, which I hear has good tacos AND good happy hour. I was like “oh sweet, $1 tacos instead of $2.50 tacos. I’m in!” UNTIL I arrived at 5:30 (which is a totally normal happy hour time, right? Right.) and learned that happy hour is from 3-5. Insert flatline face emoji here. THREE TO FIVE!? Come on, guys. Not cool. I know for a FACT that it used to go until at least 6, maybe even 7. I felt BETRAYED. And then I paid $2.50 per taco anyways like a good consumer. But then I came home and made THESE the next day! YEAH!
Originally I thought these were going to be vegetarian tacos — black beans and cherry pico. That sounds pretty good, right? But then a friend suggested steak and I was like “oooh duh that sounds like heaven” and now here we are. I rubbed the steak with a tiny bit of brown sugar, and quite a bit of garlic, and let it sit for a few hours before broiling it. If you have a grill, grill it up! Cook it however you see fit. I then let it cool for 10 minutes and picked it apart — it was really tender and easily broke into bite-sized pieces. THE BEST.
Also: cojita. Don’t overestimate the power of cojita. THAT CHEESE IS FO REALS! I’ve actually been eating it alone in big clumps instead of actually *using* it … but don’t tell anyone that. It happens. It’s a tough life being a cheese-lover.Print
- 2/3 lb. skirt steak
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup halved/pitted cherries
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 2 limes
- 10 small tortillas
- 2 cups microgreens
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled cojita
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Rub both sides of the steak with the brown sugar, garlic, and salt & pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- While the steak is marinading, make the pico. Combine the cherries, diced tomatoes, diced onion, and the juice of one lime. Mix and set aside.
- When you’re ready to cook the steak, cook it to medium-doneness with whatever method you prefer. If you’re broiling, put it on a lined baking sheet and broil on the top rack of the oven for 4-5 minutes on each side. When you’re done cooking, let the steak rest for 10 minutes before cutting it into small pieces.
- To assemble the tacos, fill each tortilla with microgreens, steak, and cherry pico before topping with fresh cilantro, crumbled cojita cheese, sliced avocado, and more lime juice.