This salad: all the summer things. ALL THE SUMMER VEG IN THE LAND! Kind of. Plus mung beans.
Why mung beans? No real reason. A month ago Whole Foods had a sale on all bulk foods — obviously the highlight of my weekend, NBD — and I used it as an opportunity to buy ALL THE DRY GOODS. Including some stuff I’ve never cooked with before. Mung beans seemed like a good option!
I’ll admit: I totally overcooked them. My bad. If you were here eating this salad with me you’d be like “what the heck, Mary, these are really squishy.” Again, my bad. When YOU cook this, do as I say — not as I do. Luckily, there are so many delicious veggies in this salad that I don’t mind the overcooked mung beans!
We have: tomatoes, cucumber, onion, avocado, CORN, and a tangy lemon/apple cider vinegar/olive oil dressing. So easy. So light! This is pretty much the epitome of health, right? Right. The day I made this I also ate literally half of block of Tillamook cheese (one of the BIG blocks). Don’t judge. Balance, right? Balance. It happens.
Cook your mung beans! Chop your veggies! Throw it all together. SO SO SO SIMPLE!
Have a wonderful rest of your week!Print
- 1 cup uncooked mung beans
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 2 ears of corn, cooked and kernels cut off
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Rinse and cook your mung beans according to directions (in a saucepan with plenty of water, simmering for about 40 minutes) until soft, but not squishy. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Toss the cooked mung beans with all of the vegetables.
- Mix the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil together. Pour over the salad and mix to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper.