Wish me luck today! Today we go see a possible place to live, which is turning out to be much more difficult than anticipated. We have to be out of this place by June 30, and are leaving for two weeks to be in Alaska during June, so... we have to figure this out! There is nothing available in this town! Yes, I admit we have somewhat strict standards, but nothing ridiculous. Places are either really gross/junky/really-need-a-health-inspection, or they're far away and too big. We don't need a 5 bedroom house, and don't want to get a roommate (or two) to help pay for one. So. This has resulted in *two* possible options in the last two weeks. Neither are perfect, so we passed on the first one. We might have to more seriously consider the one we'll see today.
Of course, on the list of "must haves" is a decent kitchen. Since I work from home, and mostly in the kitchen, I need to feel happy in our space! Luckily, the place we're seeing today has a pretty roomy kitchen, AND A DISHWASHER. Hallelujah. We've decided, for our mental health and the health of our relationship, we need to always live with a dishwasher. A dishwasher without a name like Mary or Derek.
Enough babble: onto the food!
When I'm not eating Mexican(ish) food ALL THE TIME, I'm eating some variation of this dish. A few weeks ago, when Joy posted her Spring Roll in a Bowl, I thought to myself: "SHE IS SPYING ON MY LUNCHES!" Because really, it is one of my favorite quick and easy lunches to whip up.
This is my peanut shrimp version (err, obviously?). Maybe one day I'll share with you all of my other versions, because they're ALL so delicious! This recipe is so easy to add other things to, as well: cucumber, sprouts, cabbage, AVOCADO, squeeze of lime — I highly recommend trying all of those things! My mom started making Vietnamese spring rolls at home when I was a kid, and it was like a DREAM COME TRUE! Oooh the joy. I could live on spring rolls!
Thai Peanut Shrimp Bowls
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups medium raw shrimp: peeled and tails off
- 8 oz rice or bean thread noodles, cooked
- 4 carrots, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup sugar peas
- basil, mint, and cilantro for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. When hot, add the minced garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook until fragrant, then add the tomato paste, peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Stir well to fully combine, and bring to a simmer. Add as much water as needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Add the shrimp, and cook until opaque. Remove from heat.
- Serve over rice or bean thread noodles with carrots and sugar peas, garnished with basil, mint, and cilantro.
I want a big lick of that right now!
My boyfriend made this recipe for dinner tonight after spying it on my Pinterest - so delicious! We'll definitely be making it again - thanks!