I have really eclectic musical taste. I love anything from country to classical, bluegrass to techno, alternative to classic rock — and almost everything in between (admittedly, reggae usually drives me crazy). My most embarrassing love, though, is pop. Good ol’ girly pop. Boy bands, girl bands, teen pop stars: I love them.
I generally only put Pandora on the “Today’s Hits” station when Derek isn’t home, because there are plenty of other stations we both like, but recently I have really been craving some pop music! This song in particular is so damn catchy! Really, the amount of dancing I’ve been doing in the kitchen for the last few days is somewhere between awe-inspiring and appalling. But my moves, which are really ready to go on tour as a backup dancer, keep making appearances between chopping/stirring/blending/mixing. I can’t stop! I secretly think this song is super catchy because it sounds remarkably like Britney’s “(You Drive Me) Crazy” — yeah, we’re on a first name basis.
So back in reality (wait, what?). SCONES! I’ve been having a serious scone craving lately, and had some strawberries lying around, so it was obvious what I had to make. The whole wheat thing was a last minute decision, which I’m glad I did! You could do regular flour, if you want, but if you use whole wheat you can eat four of them without anyone batting an eyelash. At least, I won’t bat an eyelash. I probably wouldn’t even if you were to eat four cheesecakes though, so I may not be the best person to look to for judgement.
I also thought these would be cute for Valentine’s breakfast! You could even cut them into hearts, if you were really ambitious!
Whole Wheat Strawberry and Cream Scones
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 1/2 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 6 Tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor (or blender) combine 1/2 cup strawberries, sugar, heavy cream, and salt. Blend until smooth, then add the egg and vanilla and pulse until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. With a pastry cutter, or clean hands, work the chilled butter into the flour until the pieces are no bigger than peas. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mixing until barely incorporated, then gently add the remaining strawberries.
- Shape the dough (which will be quite sticky) into a 1″ high disk on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Leaving the disk where it is, cut it into wedges. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the edges are beginning to turn golden. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes before again cutting along the wedge-lines.
- Combine the powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream to make the glaze. When the scones have cooled, drizzle with the glaze.