Oh. My. Gosh.
I am in serious recovery mode from the last four days of FEAST Portland insanity. It was SO MUCH FUN, you guys! Incredible! AAH! I’ll talk more about it later this week, but I can’t NOT mention it today. I’m still processing, and entering a serious detox week of eating only veggies 99% of the time. #necessary
These muffins happened last week when I was craving warm fall foods — we had a little bit of fall weather (that has since left us) and I was LOVING IT! Also loving: the muffins! They’re hearty, thanks to the oats and whole wheat, not-too-cakey (it’s not a cupcake! It’s a MUFFIN!), perfectly banana-y, and pretty darn addicting. I think I might make these into a loaf soon, too!
With that, I leave you to it. My brain is still in food-coma from Feasting! I’ll be back with rambles soon, I’m sure. xoxoPrint
Whole Wheat Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup packed mashed ripe bananas (about 2.5 bananas)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and butter a muffin tin.
- Combine the buttermilk, mashed banana, melted butter, eggs, brown sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla. Beat together until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oatmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix to fully combine. Add to the wet ingredients, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly among 12 tins, and top with a thin slice of banana (optional) and a few raw oats.
- Bake until a cake-tester comes out clean — about 15 minutes.