It must be my pre-wedding lovey-dovey nature in full bloom here, because I’m on a roll making things *specifically* for Derek. Peanut butter cookies, cookies not yet documented here, and now this piece of blueberry muffin goodness! I guess with a guy as cute as he is, I can’t help it. And he says things like “I can’t believe I convinced a hot blonde girl to marry me!” Winner. #lessthan2weeks
Back to the point. I know I’ve mentioned before that Derek always requests two things: sushi salad, and blueberry muffins. Without fail, I know I can make those things and Derek will be OVER THE MOON. So, after 2.5 weeks of having no oven, what’s the first thing I make? Of course, something along the lines of a blueberry muffin! I was tempted to just make the tried and true brown butter blueberry muffins, but have been really wanting to make a coffee cake for a while now. Um, isn’t coffee cake essentially a muffin in a baking dish, right? Right. Totally.
Needless to say, our new oven works spectacularly! It passes my oven-standards test with flying colors. And lots of flavors. I can’t tell you how therapeutic it was to finally put this (simple!) recipe together and know I would soon pop it in the oven. I’ve always known baking is my “go to” de-stressor, but I’ve never actually had such a specific experience to prove it. After feeling a bit “blocked” in my creative processes, and lazy in regards to getting anything done, while the oven was broken… as soon as I started mixing together the batter for this cake, my energy was back! I felt like superwoman! I wanted to clean the whole house! Bake ALL the things! Get the whole damn wedding figured out! In a word, I was back. BOOYAH.
Perhaps it’s just this cake, specifically. So maybe you’re feeling a little be blocked, like you need a kick in the pants to get your ducks in a line again. Give this coffee cake blueberry muffin hybrid a go, perhaps you’ll find yourself with a bunch of completed projects and a very clean house! Then you can come to mine, since I didn’t quite get to that house-cleaning part…Print
Blueberry Muffin Coffee Cake
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- ½ cup flour
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Butter a 8×8 square baking dish.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing fully to incorporate.
- Add the vanilla and milk, mix to combine, then add the flour and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the mixture in the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining cold butter, flour, and brown sugar. Using your fingers, combine until the butter is in pea-sized pieces. Sprinkle over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the top is golden and a cake tester comes out clean.