HELLO CALIFORNIA! Oh man, I do like visiting California. Specifically, the Bay Area. So much to do! So much to see! While this trip really isn't all about the site-seeing, we'll still have some time to take in the sites, starting today! Not to mention a social calendar chock-full of visits with friends. It seems almost everyone we know and love lives in the Bay Area, which is fine with me!
I present to you another delicious breakfast option! This certainly is the week of breakfasts, eh? I thought about posting something else for you, but why not keep this theme going? While I love French toast, pancakes, and German pancakes, sometimes they feel a bit indulgent. Carby + sugary = too much for every day. This breakfast quinoa, however, is great for everyday. Think of it as a new version of oatmeal!
Just like with oatmeal, you can do to this quinoa just about whatever you want. Add nuts. Add fruit. Sugar! Milk! Coconut flakes? Chocolate chips? Use your imagination, and get on it. I used toasted pecans and chopped dried cherries here. Drizzled with coconut milk!
I cook the quinoa in coconut milk with some nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and a tiny bit of sugar. You could use regular milk, omit the sugar, add different spices — the possibilities really are endless.
- ⅔ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup coconut milk (I prefer full fat)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoon sugar, depending on preference (or omit)
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- toppings of your choice (nuts, dried/fresh fruit, coconut milk, chocolate chips)
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa has absorbed all excess liquid and can be fluffed.
- Top with extra coconut milk, nuts, fruits, or whatever you'd like!