My love for all things green runs reaaaaaal deep. Like, REAL deep. Super deep. It’s been my favorite color for at least 22 years now (I remember very consciously deciding, around age 5), and I’m sticking to it. Chile verde! Spinach! Green smoothies! GUAC! They all have my love. Trees! Shrubs! ANYTHING WITH CHLOROPHYL! Yeah, I went there.
When it comes to Mexican food (or fake Mexican food…) I almost always take green over red sauce, when given the choice. It’s so darn tasty! So, when I found myself with more tomatillos last week, I thought: GREEN ENCHILADA SAUCE! I was feeling super ambitious about making enchiladas, which never happened. But, chilaquiles did! A new kind! I’ll come ‘atcha with those on Wednesday!
This sauce is pretty simple — all the usual suspects: tomatillos, onion, garlic, green peps, something spicy, veggie stock, etc. Basically, cook it up, blend it up, simmer it down! Easy shmeazy. YOU CAN DO IT! Then, if you’re more ambitious than I… make enchiladas!!
Have a wonderful week! xoxoPrint
Green Enchilada Sauce
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 1 quart
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeño, sliced lengthwise in half
- 1 lb. tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and halved
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- In a large, heavy skillet over HIGH heat, add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, and tomatillos. Let them sizzle and blacken, stirring somewhat frequently. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until they’re starting to slightly soften, and have blackened edges. Remove from the heat.
- Blend the blackened veggies, along with the garlic and cilantro, in your blender until smooth. Pour into a saucepan over medium heat, and add the salt, pepper, cumin, veggie broth, and sugar (if using).
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, and let cook down for at least 20 minutes — or until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
- Store in an airtight container!