That’s a mouthful, huh? Sometime I feel like I decipher recipe titles (or create them) in a similar manner to the way my 7th grade self approached algebra problems: in a very specific order. Anyone remember PEMDAS? Or maybe you were more into FOIL? OK enough nerdiness for one recipe: onto the good stuff!
This is my second time making no-churn ice cream, since I currently do not own an ice cream maker; however, this is all about to change! I received an KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment in the mail YESTERDAY (thank you wedding registry and thank you Aunt Mary/Uncle Graham!)! I’m excited to learn how to make REAL ice cream, but I’m also glad to have found this method because I’m loving the results!
This chocolate chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream took a few more steps than the no-churn roasted apricot version, but was still really easy to throw together. Maybe it’s my chocoholic bias speaking, but this chocolate version is WAY more delicious. Like, incredibly delicious.
I basically just made a ganache (heavy cream + chocolate), and incorporated it into the evaporated milk and whipping cream mixture as I whipped it up all fluffy-like. Easy! I’d made the cookie dough (eggless) beforehand, rolled it out on a cookie sheet, then chilled and cut it into cubes. Good luck not eating this stuff into extinction before you even get to the ice cream! Seriously, it’s a good thing this made more than I needed for my one loaf tin, otherwise I would’ve had a cookie dough shortage. Ain’t nobody got time for that!
Also: I had a hard time not eating this concoction prior to freezing. It’s freaking delicious! It’s like extra sweet, chocolatey whipped cream! HELLOOO taste buds! Just be warned. Don’t let it stop you from enjoying your ice cream.
No-Churn Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (at least 36% fat)
- 9 oz chocolate (I used semi-sweet, but anything from milk to dark would work)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Begin by making the cookie dough. Combine the butter, both sugars, and salt in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and milk, mix to combine.
- Add the flour and mix until just incorporated, then add the chocolate chips and mix to completion.
- Spread the dough (it will be fairly sticky) on a wax paper-lined baking sheet in a 1/2″ thick layer. Chill until firm enough to cut with a knife into small chunks (whatever size you want in your ice cream).
- While the dough is chilling, you can make the ganache. Chop the chocolate into small pieces, and heat 3/4 cup of the cream to almost boiling. Pour the cream over the chocolate, let sit for 1 minute, then stir until very smooth. Allow this mixture to cool a bit before proceeding.
- When both your cookie dough and ganache are ready, make the ice cream by combining the remaining 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and the sweetened condensed milk in the bowl of a mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Mix on high speed for about a minute, then slowly pour the ganache in (while still mixing). Continue mixing until soft peaks form.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf tin 1″ at a time, covering each layer with a generous amount of cookie dough. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until firm (4-6 hours).
- Serve with extra/remaining cookie dough!