Whoaaa life! We’re are hurtling forward at this point in time: back from Alaska, moving this weekend, zooming towards the wedding, two trips to Oregon BEFORE the wedding — it’s going to be a busy 7 weeks!
While I did such a fabulous job (pat myself on the back) of planning ahead for our Alaska trip, and had posts schedule to keep you entertained while I was away, I’ve been oh-so-lazy while I’ve been back. In reality, I just can’t switch my sleep schedule, so I’m sleeping 4am-1pm every day (WHAT!?). Yeah, I wish it weren’t true. Needless to say, I’m feeling like nothing is getting done during a week where EVERYTHING NEEDS TO GET DONE!
Luckily, my mama flies in this afternoon (yaay!) to help us pack/move/wedding-plan, we have tons of friends who have generously offered to help us during the big push (furniture, ugh). I figured y’all could use something to tide you over, since I probably won’t be checking in here until at least Tuesday next week. These bars, though, are worth it. I’m certain you can entertain yourself for at least a week with these.
I made these multiple times in a 48-hour timespan. Derek practically inhaled them. I guess I did too, honestly. I first made them without oats, then with oats, with white sugar, then with brown sugar, etc. I had a really hard time photographing any of it. Hmph. Trust me when I say, these are freaking delicious. I think the best thing I’ve made all year. Gotta share them before rhubarb season is too far gone (perhaps the rest of the country forgot about rhubarb a month ago, but it’s just not flourishing here!).
I based these bars on a recipe I’ve seen a number of places, but mainly from Deb at Smitten Kitchen. Obviously I changed a few things. I like more of a solid base, so I put 2/3 (opposed to 1/2) of the crust mixture on the bottom. Then I added oats to the remaining 1/3, and used that on top. I also used a LOT of fruit. SO DELICIOUS. I think it’s pretty hard to mess this recipe up, so just play around and do whatever seems right to you!
Blackberry Rhubarb Oat Crumble Bars
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raw oats
- 3 cups fresh chopped rhubarb
- 12 oz fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 F, and butter a 9×13 baking dish.
- Combine the brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and flour in a bowl. Mix until incorporated, then cut in the butter and egg with a pastry cutter or forks. Mixture should be crumbly.
- Pat 2/3 of the mixture into the prepared pan. With the remaining 1/3, add the oats and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the rhubarb, blackberries, white sugar, and cornstarch. Mix well, then assemble evenly over the prepared crust.
- Pour the remaining crust/oat mix over the fruit.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is turning golden. Remove and let cool completely before slicing and serving.