Let’s talk about TV. It’s been a while, and if you watch House of Cards: TOMORROW IS A HUUUUUGE DAY! SEASON 3! Oh em gee for reals. I’ve been seriously considering re-watching seasons one and two, but I realize that’s a total waste of my time and I absolutely should do it. Right? Right. Keep me on that track, please. But I am SO SO SO ready for season three! Frank as president? Claire as first lady? I CANNOT WAIT. How do they make us love characters who do such terrible things? It’s just like Dexter… except Dexter was actually a nice person (I think. Besides the murdering part).
Anywho. I’m not making plans for Saturday because I’m assuming it’ll be hard to tear my eyeballs away from my computer screen. I *would* do it Friday, but I also assume it won’t be available here until 6pm Friday night — midnight for the Western-most part of the USA. Maybe it’ll be available a few hours earlier, but I’m purposefully making myself busy tomorrow afternoon so I CANNOT BE DISTRACTED. It’s like tricking someone into eating vegetables. I’m totally cool with veggies, but the TV sucks me in… Thanks for being along for my apparently life-long battle with it.
As for life-long LOVES: mashed potatoes. Comfort food TO THE MAX. And if you make them into garlicky pancakies I’ll be even more smitten. Add spinach and a (poorly) poached egg? INFATUATION! I’m not sure infatuation is actually the next step after love-of-my-life (in fact, I’m sure it isn’t), but you get my point. This is my breakfast of champions! Champion? Hear me roar! (get it? get it? katy perry, anyone?)
This delish breakfast is easy to whip up. Boil some potatoes, and smash ’em into mashed potatoes. Add sautéed garlicky spinach. Form into patties, fry ’em up, poach an egg, and put it on top! YUM! Easy. Quick. If you want to add cheese and cream and butter to your potatoes: PLEASE DO IT. Oooh that sounds yummy. I didn’t do any of that, mostly because I was out of butter, but 100% endorse you doing it. Yum yum yum.
Enjoy the rest of your week! Try not to get too bamboozled by the Underwoods! xoxo (I’ll probably chat LOTS about HOC next week… fair warning!)Print
- 2 lbs potatoes (russet or red)
- 1 tsp olive oil, plus more for frying (could use any oil you fancy)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 4–5 eggs (1 for pancakes, the rest for topping)
- salt & pepper
- green onions and tomatoes for garnish
- Scrub the potatoes and cut into small cubes. Add to a large pot of water, bring to a boil, and cook until fork-tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring, before adding the spinach. Cook for a few minutes, until wilted, then remove from heat. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are done, drain, and mash. If you wanted to add cream or cheese or butter, now is the time to do it! Let the potatoes cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spinach, along with one egg and a generous amount of salt and pepper, to the mashed potatoes. Stir together until completely integrated.
- Heat a few Tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, form the mashed potatoes into pancakes 1/2-3/4″ thick (mine were about the size of my palm). Cook until golden on one side, then flip, and cook until golden on the other side. Work in batches until all of the mashed potatoes are cooked.
- While the potatoes are cooking, fry or poach your eggs.
- When all of the potato pancakes are cooked, top with eggs and garnish with green onions and tomatoes. Serve warm.