Oh boy. Guess what happened yesterday? Ready? You’ll never guess. Give up? K. The Fedex truck, which I so lovingly adore for bringing me delightful packages, HIT OUR CAR and then drove away. Really? Who does that? Especially in a company vehicle? ESPECIALLY especially with witnesses? Thank goodness for our nice neighbors who saw everything and let us know! Hopefully this will easily be taken care of… So far I’m not impressed.
Despite that downer of a situation, at which I was fuming pretty heavily, yesterday was *awesome* because of: MY LUNCH! Yes, you are looking at my lunch yesterday. Shrimp, on top of grapefruit, on top of avocado, on top of rice, all covered in a balsamic reduction. I tell you, it was perfect. I was really quite proud of myself for throwing together such a delicious lunch, and while I wasn’t planning on it being a blogable meal, it’s worth it.
Not only is this a phenomenal lunch, but this would be a great (EASY) thing to cook for guests. With a little shaping, it looks fancy! Get on it! You’ll impress the pants off of everyone! My secret? 1-cup measure. I don’t have any fancy rice molds or anything, so I used a 1-cup measure, put the avocado cubes *gently* in the bottom, then pressed the rice in, then plopped it over onto a plate! Voilà! You could probably use a ramekin, or a short glass… Get creative, people!
Make this sucker up, then drizzle some balsamic reduction on and you have a winner! I’m sorry I don’t have a recipe on here (yet) for balsamic reduction, but it’s a skill you should definitely learn. It’s worth it. YUM.
Now do yourself a favor, and go make this for lunch. ASAP. It won’t be grapefruit season forever!Print
- 1 cup shrimp (frozen or thawed are both fine)
- 2 Tbsp chili oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 grapefruit, cubed
- 1 cup cooked rice, cold
- 1/4 cup balsamic reduction
- salad greens (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the shrimp in the chili oil until opaque and starting to brown. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper.
- In the bottom of a cylindrical cup or measure, gently pack 1/2 of the cubed avocado as tightly as you can. Cover with 1/2 cup rice, and pack down gently, yet firmly.
- Invert onto a plate prepared with a bed of greens (optional), then top with a layer of grapefruit, the shrimp, and a drizzle of the balsamic reduction.
- Best served immediately, while the shrimp are still hot!