Good morning NOVEMBER! Seriously, where the heck did October go? I guess moving halfway around the globe makes time a little wonky — it actually feels like August was yesterday. All of you back home are probably SO happy that Halloween is followed by a weekend pregnant with an extra hour! SLEEP! GET SOME! I had fun seeing everyone dressed up via instagram — y’all looked good! I’m impressed. Ideas noted for the future…
Now that you’re recovering from your sugar-binge, among other things, you’re gonna need a hearty breakfast. Let me introduce you to the ultimate fall, filling, beautiful, whole grain breakfast: whole wheat cinnamon apple oatmeal pancakes! Aaaah LOVE! I’d been wanting to make some fall-ish pancakes with oatmeal (well, oat flour — just grind up some oat meal) when Pinch of Yum posted these. Um, gorgeous. I was super impressed, and decided to attempt a technique replication with my own recipe. Lemme just say, they’re “the big guys” for a reason… Seriously, how are Lindsay’s pancakes so beautiful!? Go drool over there. Then come back and gimme a pat on the back. A+ for effort?
The thing about these pancakes is that they are really truly hearty. The ground oatmeal makes them dense — these aren’t light fluffy pancakes — and there is a surprising amount of apple in each of these. If you normally eat a stack of 5, I bet you’ll be done after 2 of these! Maybe I should re-name these “bang for your buck” pancakes… not quite as descriptive though, is it? Not at all. I’ve yet to have a pancake here in Bali, but I have grand plans (and bought some flour!) — so look out! Considering we don’t have an oven (!!), pancakes are the closest thing to a baked good we’re gonna have around here for a while! With moothie Monday and an abundance of pancakes, we might just turn TKP into a breakfast blog! I do love breakfast!
Have a wonderful weekend! Eat a million Reese’s for me! And Twix! And Rolos! AND ALL THE CANDIES!Print
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Pancakes
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4
- ¾ cups uncooked oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 large apples
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- maple syrup, yogurt, sliced almonds for topping
- In a blender or food processor, grind the dry oats until they’re a fine powder. Mix together with the whole wheat flour, baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt. Whisk, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, melted butter, milk, vanilla, and egg.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Core the apples and slice into 1/8″ rings. Toss with the brown sugar and remaining 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat (or a normal skillet, and use butter before each pancake). Arrange three apple rings overlapping in the middle of the skillet and let cook for 2-3 minutes, or until softening. Once the apples are beginning to soften, cover them with just enough batter to fully envelope the apples. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until that side is golden, flip, and cook another 2 minutes.
- Repeat until you’ve used all apples and batter. Serve with toppings of your choice.