Here I give you a look into the life of Mary’s belly. ARE YOU SO EXCITED!?!? Yeah, I thought so. I suppose you could say every TKP post is a look into my belly (ew, that sounds gross the more I say it), but this dish is something I actually eat on the reg. Meaning, regularly. Meaning, multiple times each week. It’s my go-to, no-fail, semi-quick, always-delicious, tasty as heck, single-lady dinner. And breakfast. And lunch. Top it with an egg for breakfast. Wrap it in a tortilla for lunch. Serve it with some rice for dinner. Or: eat it alone. That’s what I normally do. On my white couch, trying my best not to flop beet juice onto the cushions. So far: success.
I love this dish for basically four reasons: chorizo, beets, sweet potato, and kale. Seriously, are there for things I love to cook with more? Besides brown butter and pecans and goat cheese (which I actually sometimes mix in here, too) … no, not really! We’ve talked about my love for chorizo before: It makes everything SOOO easy. No need for other spices! It spices for you! And MAN is it good. I walk over to Whole Foods and buy a little dollop of ground chorizo — usually about 1/4 lb — at least two times each week. They probably refer to me as the crazy chorizo lady. I suppose there are worse names to be called, right?
As for the beets and sweet potatoes, well, do I need to explain? I really do eat this without another starch, usually, because the sweet potato takes care of it! And beets… YUM! Kale for healthiness, duh. And it’s a good texture to break up the soft cubes of beet/potato. And really: mix in some goat cheese! Or whatever cheese floats your boat! I really can’t go ONE post without talking about cheese, can I? Not sorry!
I’m in ICELAND now, roaming around in my campervan with ladyfriend Kelsey!I love my camper, however, it is getting rather dated and keeps have problems. We are continuously having to use the RV battery, which is why I’ve had to buy an extra one and a generator that generatorgrid recommended! The water heater has also broke so I’m currently just reading reviews on the best water heater for your RV!! Keep up with us on instagram and snapchat (username thekitchenpaper) for some killer views! xoxoPrint
- 3 oz. ground chorizo
- 1 large beet, cubed to 1/2″ cubes
- 1/2 sweet potato, cubed to 1/2″ cubes
- 4 cups fresh kale, torn into small pieces
- salt & pepper
- parmesan, for topping
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chorizo. Break it apart with your spatula and cook until it is all browned. Turn the heat down to medium, and add the beet and sweet potato cubes.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and scrape the bottom of the pan to get any meat flavors off the pan, then let it cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- With a fork, check how tender the beets and potatoes are — depending on how small you cut them, they may take more/less time. When they’re nearly done, add the kale to the pan. Stir, and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until it is fully wilted.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with grated parmesan and enjoy!