YOU GUYS! I’m out in the Icelandic wild traipsing around in a campervan (um, follow me here), so coming to you with very few words… But ENJOY this squash! I’ll be back in the USA later this week and back to our normal chatty/ridiculous posts! xoxo
- 1 acorn squash
- 6 oz ground chorizo, without casing
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 cup uncooked black rice
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup hemp hearts
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds, and cut a thin slice off of the back of each half (so it will sit flat, rind side down).
- Lightly oil a baking sheet, and place the halves cut side down (rind side up). Bake for 30-45 minutes, until the squash is fork tender, depending on the size of your squash.
- While the squash is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook, breaking apart with a spatula, until browned. Add the onion, cook for 2 minutes, then add the black rice. Stir to combine, then add 2.5 cups of water.
- Let the rice cook, stirring occasionally, until the water is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the hemp hearts.
- When the squash is soft, turn the halves over and scoop a generous amount of rice and chorizo into each one. Top with cheese, and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot!