Three things: chorizo + kale + gruyere. THREE AMAZING THINGS! Oh my goodness. These three in combination are like dynamite in the mouth for me! Boom pow pow PIZAAAA! That’s pih-zaa, not pizza. Clearly. We’re making dynamite noises!
I’ve been majorly slacking on breakfast lately, mostly because I haven’t been working out (oops), which means my appetite is majorly decreased, which means nothing sounds that great/necessary in the morning. BUT YOU KNOW I LOVE MY BREAKFAST! So I decided to get a little bit creative and entice myself into a delicious, spicy, veggie-ful, protein-ful, frittata! Winning all around.
So, I walked over to Whole Foods at the crack of dawn to get a little thing of chorizo. By “the crack of dawn” I mean 8:30, which is considerably early for me to put on pants and be out seen in public. Fo reals. So, I headed to WF only to discover that I WAS TOO EARLY FOR THE MEAT AND CHEESE COUNTERS!! What, people don’t come buy raw meat early in the morning? I can’t be the only one. Luckily, they were super friendly and willing to go into the back room and get whatever I wanted.
Learning to cook for one has also meant learning to SHOP for one: I no longer buy massive quantities of everything (seeya later, Costco membership!). So, I got ONE little link of chorizo. And then used half of it for this, and half of it for another meal. For that reason, I’m all about going to the meat counter (and paying WF prices) for a small quantity of the good stuff. CHORIZO FO LYFE! Omg too much.
This recipe is super simple: brown the meat, add the kale, whip up some eggs, add some grated cheese, pour it all in a mini-dish, and bake! Plus more cheese on top. Duh. I would have thrown in onions, but I used up my onion making a massive bowl of guacamole the day before. Oopsies. That is where my Costco membership WOULD come in handy: I used to always have BAGS of onions on hand. BAGS. I need to learn better onion management skills, clearly. Can I put that on my resume?
While I was at WF (this is starting to sounds like a sponsored post, I promise it is not. I just happen to live 1 block from whole foods), I picked up a mini-baguette that rocked my world. It was perfect! Really moist and soft and flavorful and uh-mazing. So, go get one of those (and finish it later with some goat cheese brie — my new obsession!).
- 1/8 lb. ground chorizo without casing (about 1/2 of one sausage)
- 2 cups torn raw kale leaves (one big handful)
- salt & pepper
- 2-3 eggs*
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 green onion, white and green parts sliced thinly
- 2 oz. grated Gruyere, divided
- 1 mini baguette
- Preheat the oven to 400F and lightly butter a small oven-safe dish.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook the chorizo. Break it into small pieces with your spatula as you cook, until it is fully browned. Add the kale, and cook until wilted (2 minutes). Remove from heat.
- In a separate dish, whisk the eggs and milk together. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, 3/4 of the green onion (all of the white, just save some green for the garnish), and half of the grated cheese. Whisk that all together, then add the chorizo/kale, stir, and pour into your prepared dish.
- Top with the remaining cheese, and bake for 20-25 minutes. The frittata will puff up, so leave room in the dish to allow for expansion!
- Serve immediately garnished with the remaining green onion and some bread.
I say 2-3 eggs because this will depend on the size of your dish, and your hunger! I’ve done it with both, and loved it both times!