When I moved into my apartment last month (it's been an entire month!! Oh my lord. No more excuses for not hanging my art...) I was worried it might be noisy. I'm in the corner unit, so I really only share 1 bedroom wall and 1 kitchen wall with two separate neighbors, but then I have people above and below, too. Luckily, thankfully, this building is either soundproofed extremely well, or I live with a bunch of very quiet people. At this point, I'm really hoping it's the first ... otherwise I'm afraid my neighbors are going to start sending me hate mail for singing at the top of my lungs allllll day long.
Okay not allllll day long, but, um, often. And while I'd like to claim I have a lovely voice and it'd be like living next door to Allison Krauss — I can't. I mean, I don't think I'm out of tune or anything, but I'm certainly not going on tour anytime soon. So I find myself singing, sometimes loudly and sometimes with reservation, in the hopes of not having anyone hear me. YIIIIKES. The biggest issue is probably the guy who is always working on projects in the alley outside my windows (which are usually open). I mean, if he can use a table saw all day ... I can sing, right?
Should we talk about salad? OR SING ABOUT IT!? JK. I'm not a walking musical quite yet!
This salad has a bunch of my favorite Asian flavors: sesame oil, soy sauce, spicy stuff (I used FIX Hotsauce, which is great stuff!), ginger, cilantro, garlic.... and edamame! I think I only have ONE other recipe (sushi salad) with edamame on TKP. Time for it to get a little attention!
Blend up your dressing, chop of your veggies, toss it all together: BOOM. Salad. Easy! AND HEALTHY! Legitimately healthy. No more of this "chocolate salad" business. I mean, we'll be back in the chocolate salad business soon enough, I'm sure, but this is genuinely not unhealthy at all. GET ON IT. Massage that kale! Cook the edamame! Chop the cabbage!
If you follow me on snapchat (which you should. @thekitchenpaper) you got to see a sneak peek of what I did with the leftover cabbage... Hint: it rhymes with shmauwer-pout. !!! We'll see how that turns out.
Happy Friday! Have a wonderful weekend! Get outside and enjoy the (hopefully) lovely weather! I'll be tweeting and instagramming my way through Indulge — a food blogging conference here in PDX. Follow along! xoxoPrint
- ¼ cup toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce (Sriracha or Fix)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup shelled edamame, cooked
- 4 cups torn kale leaves
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 2 large carrots, sliced into thin ½ moons
- 3 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- ⅔ cup cashews (toasted*, if you have time!)
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine all dressing ingredients and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook your edamame according to instructions. Set aside to cool, then shell (end up with 1 cup shelled).
- Tear the kale and drizzle with a little bit of oil. Massage until slightly softened — about 3 minutes.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients, and toss with the dressing. Serve immediately.
To easily toast cashews, cook them in a skillet over medium heat until they're golden brown.