I feel like Montana is getting away with a serious weather crime right now. Everyone else is suffering crazy cold temperatures, and we’re here in balmy 20-40 F weather! I didn’t think it was possible for Atlanta to be colder than Bozeman… but apparently it is! Crazy polar vortex!
I have a few cold-weather soups to share with you in the next few weeks (which I’ve been eating non-stop), but I thought today called for some veggies hidden in sugar. Zucchini cake! Or loaf. Or whatever you prefer to call it. I am in full citrus mode here, so when I saw this recipe on pinterest I KNEW I had to make it asap. Luckily, I had a zucchini in the fridge ready for using. BOOM!
As with anything involving citrus and sugar, I highly recommend starting by creaming the butter, sugar, and zest together. Most recipes call for adding the zest later, but by adding it with the sugar it’ll release more flavor with the friction of rubbing against the sugar! That’s a little tip I learned from Joy — she’s full of them!
Another tip, so you don’t have a soggy loaf, is to squeeze your shredded zucchini before putting it in the batter. I used a cheesecloth, but you could use any meshy material. Squeeze hard! You’ll be amazed at how much liquid comes out. Save it for your smoothie, if you want!
I made two smaller loaves out of this recipe, but if you have a long loaf pan you could make one. Or a small loaf and some cupcakes! Oooh that’d be fun! My brain has been turning everything into cupcakes lately (weird). I think my next veggies-in-sugar creation will be chocolate carrot cake cupcakes! Lookout!Print
Lemon Zucchini Loaf
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Juice of one Lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 large zucchini)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter a large loaf pan, or two small loaf pans, and line with buttered parchment.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until fully incorporated between each.
- Add the sour cream, and mix until incorporated.
- Add the lemon juice and vanilla.
- Squeeze the excess liquid from the zucchini, then add it to the batter. Fold to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda before adding to the wet mixture. Mix to combine, taking care to not over-mix.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes before running a knife around the edges, and gently pulling out to cool on a rack.
- When fully cooled, mix the cream cheese, lemon juice, and powdered sugar together to make a glaze. Pour or spread over the cake.