I feel like I’m finally learning how to be a girl. I mean that in a very superficial way: I’m learning about hair and makeup, after never really knowing what I was doing for the last 25 years.
Yes, this is all spurred by the fact that I’m getting married in 2 months (!!!). But really, I’ve never known how to do hair. Ever. I remember finally getting a smooth pony-tail and being like ‘YES! I’VE MADE IT!’ and then never learning how to do anything else. The most I’ve ever learned was probably from observing sorority girls in college, with perfect hair, and just deducing how the heck they made their hair do whatever it was doing.
Now, though, with the wedding coming up (and an already-surpassed budget), I need to really learn to do my own hair. I’m not going to pay $100 for someone else to do it, and luckily my stylist here in town is a GODSEND. At my last appointment, she (just for fun) did an up-do and taught me how to do it along the way. WIN. Now I’ve been practicing on my own, and I’m addicted!
It’s REALLY FUN to have pretty hair! I justify all of my hairdos with the fact that I need to practice so I can do it perfectly come wedding day, but really I am just having fun with my newfound skill. It’s not as hard as I thought! Usually. Sometimes I mess it up and just can’t recover. But most of the time, it’s awesome, and I’m having fun being a girl. Why didn’t I learn this stuff in middle school? I’m way behind the curve.
Another thing I’m learning: how to make killer tacos. The sweet potato tacos I posted a few months ago were my first real taco-making-experience (and they were AWESOME). I thought I should branch out: enter, STEAK! I marinaded this steak in a spicy mixture of smoked paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Add some lime juice and olive oil and you have yourself a delicious marinade!
My favorite part about this recipe (besides the steak. and the goat cheese.) is the corn. I dry roasted it in a non-stick pan with a dash of smoked paprika until the kernels started to brown. YUM. I started with frozen kernels, but fresh would be even better, I’m sure!Print
Lime Marinated Steak Tacos with Charred Corn and Goat Cheese
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 oz steak (flank or skirt works well)
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 6-8 small tortillas
- salad greens (I used an herb mix)
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1 Jalapeño, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- cilantro + lime for garnish
- Combine the onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, pepper, salt, lime juice, and olive oil in a plastic bag. Mix well. Add the steak, coating it completely, and let marinade in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator 1 hour prior to cooking, but leave it in the marinade.
- Cook the steak to your liking, however you please. Let it rest 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- In a dry saucepan, combine the corn and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika. Cook over medium heat, swirling and flipping kernels for about 5 minutes. The kernels should begin to brown (or blacken). Remove from heat.
- To assemble the tacos, first add salad greens to the tortilla, then goat cheese, jalapeño, steak, avocado, corn, cilantro, and lime.