If you follow my instagram, you know we’re in the wilds of Alaska right now! Yes, this post was pre-written (whaaa?!). Aah the wonders of modern technology — I can leave you for weeks and not miss a beat! Have I mentioned how much I love food blogging? Pretty much the best job ever. EVER.
Well, tomorrow night we’ll fly home (overnight, red-eye, EEEW) and be back to the grind. Except even moreso, since we’ll be moving and approaching wedding crunch-time. Not to mention two trips to Oregon in July (YES!). Busy busy! Luckily, my mama is coming out next week to help us move! Huzzah!
These brownie cookies are something I’ve been wanting to make for a long time. Brownies in cookie form? Yes please! I can’t say no to mint combined with chocolate, and had some mint chips left over from the amazing chocolate mint chip cookies, so this filling was a no-brainer. Obviously!
The key to this recipe, and I can’t stress this enough, is letting the batter SIT before scooping. I ignored this for the first batch and ended up with flat cookies. Then I noticed the batter was thickening, resulting in fluffier cookies, and I realized I should be following the instructions. My rule-following self must have taken a haitus for a second. Never again!
Mint Brownie Sandwich Cookies
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp baking powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup mint chips
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the egg, sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of a stand-mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat, on high, for 15 minutes or until mixture is very pale and fluffy.
- While the eggs and sugar are beating, combine 7 oz of the chocolate with the butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between, until completely melted. Alternatively, do this on a stovetop over low heat.
- Let the chocolate cool until the egg and sugar mixture is ready.
- Gently add the chocolate mixture, flour, baking powder, and remaining chocolate to the egg mixture. Fold until completely combined. Let the mixture sit for at least 15 minutes before proceeding.
- Scoop 1/8 cup balls of batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the top is cracked and not wet. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before removing from the baking sheet.
- To make the filling, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Melt the mint chips in 30 second increments until fully melted, then mix into the butter.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Pipe the frosting between to similarly-sized cookies, and gently press together.