This post is sponsored by Pacific Foods, a brand I’ve loved and used for many years! Thank you for supporting the brands that keep The Kitchen Paper up and running! I’ll be working with Pacific Foods regularly this year, so get ready for some delicious recipes using their wonderful products!
Vegetables have been on my mind lately — more than usual, which is already a lot. After doing the Whole30 it’s become so clear what does/does not make my body feel good. Veggies? Top notch. The best. And, I’m surprised this is even possible, I’m loving them more and more. I spend a ridiculous amount of time thinking about how to prepare vegetables, where to get fun vegetables (answer: PSU farmers market), what vegetables to grow (BECAUSE WE HAVE A GARDEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FOREST!!), etc.
Spring vegetables seem especially exciting — maybe just because it’s SPRING and we’ve had a winter of fewer/less-exciting vegetables — so I’m overjoyed at the rabe and microgreens and spring-specific veggies I’m seeing around. This curry is making use of those goodies — broccoli rabe, asparagus, and peas. Plus, Pacific Food’s new line of TOMATOES! I’m so excited that they have a new line out full of tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, etc. They’re organic, and seriously tasty (as usual). One of my favorite things about them is that they come in a BPA-free container that is nearly twice the size of a normal can of tomatoes — and how often do recipes call for TWO cans? Feels like always. I’ve already used them in some of my favorites (butter chicken!), and I’m genuinely impressed by how flavorful they are.
This recipe is pretty straight forward — cook up aromatics and spices, add tomatoes, then broth and vegetables! It’s pretty quick, and delicious served alongside rice and/or naan.
What are your favorite recipes for diced tomatoes or tomato sauce? Until ours are ripe in the garden, I’ll be using these!
Spring Vegetable Red Curry
This red curry features spring vegetables and bright red tomatoes – a flavorful, healthy, quick dinner that everybody will love.
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp minced lemongrass
- 3 Tbsp red curry paste
- 2 cups Pacific Foods Organic Tomato Sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 Thai red chili, minced (optional)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups asparagus, chopped to 2” segments
- 1 cup peas
- 2 handfuls broccoli rabe
- for serving: cilantro, lime, rice, naan
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add the sesame oil, shallots, garlic, ginger, and lemongrass. Cook for 3-5 minutes, mixing with a wooden spatula.
- Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 3 more minutes. It’s okay if it darkens and sticks to the pot a bit.
- Add the Pacific Foods Organic Tomato Sauce and use your spatula to vigorously scrape off any bits of curry paste stuck to the pot. Bring to a simmer, and reduce the heat to medium-low, then add the fish sauce and Thai red chili.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes, to build flavor, before adding the coconut milk. Bring back to a simmer, add the vegetables, cover, and let cook for 5-7 minutes — until the rabe is softened enough to be eaten, but still has some crunch.
- Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with cilantro and lime, alongside rice and/or naan.