Before this last week of incredibly rainy Bozeman weather, it was feeling like summer! Too hot to go running mid-day (well, 70 F), deliciously sunny, and PERFECT pie weather! I’ve been craving pie. Like you wouldn’t believe. The issue is that nothing is really in season here yet! We don’t have fruit. We have $6 mini packs of blueberries (the REALLY small ones).
BUT: A change is coming! This week, strawberries showed up in bulk. Cheap, juicy, fresh, clearly in season: delicious. I promptly bought about 10 lbs. Then, thinking about my plans to make a pie, was really grossed out by thinking about strawberry pie. I just don’t think I can do that, guys. I need to mix strawberries with other things in pie. Rhubarb. Nectarines. Peaches would be delicious, I’m sure. But pure strawberry pie? Not my jam. No pun intended.
I was pretty disappointed, and now in possession of a heckload of strawberries in need of consumption. And I still wanted pie. Then, as usual (ha!), genius struck! GALETTES are like pies, only THINNER. And easier. Well, that last point is debatable. I still struggle with planning out how I move the unbaked galette from the chopping block to the pan. Next time: move the dough onto parchment paper BEFORE loading it with fruit. You’d like I’d learn by now, right? Right.
So, this galette was born. It has all the goodness of strawberries, without being a strawberry goop overload (AKA strawberry pie). My stroke of genius also threw a lot of fresh mint leaves in with the sugar and GROUND VANILLA BEANS. Ground vanilla is my new addiction: it is SO FUN TO USE. You don’t have to worry about adding liquid to your recipe, you get awesome flecks of vanilla, and a BOOM POW vanilla flavor. I’m not sure why it took me 25 years to discover these. Get on them ASAP if you haven’t already!
Strawberry Vanilla Mint Galette
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 1 recipe pie crust, chilled
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tsp ground vanilla
- 1/8 cup packed mint leaves
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Roll out the dough on a piece of parchment paper to 1/8-1/4″ thickness.
- In a bowl, mix together the sugar, cornstarch, ground vanilla, and mint leaves. Add the strawberries, mix well, and then pour into the middle of the prepared crust.
- Carefully fold the sides of the dough up over the berries, leaving the center exposed. Gently press seams together, if necessary.
- Brush the crust lightly with the cream.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and fruit is bubbling.
- Let cool fully before cutting.