Gluten-free cupcakes: FINALLY! I’ve been wanting a recipe for gluten-free cupcakes for a while now, but by gluten-free I really mean flourless (or almond flour), since I don’t care to learn the intricacies of gluten-free flour mixing. It seems, well, complicated. One of my favorite gluten-free desserts is this flourless chocolate torte, but I didn’t think it would translate well to cupcakes.
After doing some hunting, I found a recipe from Kate From Scratch — it looked like a great place to start! A few tweaks, and here we are with my flourless chocolate cupcakes.
These are dense, chocolatey, and more cake-like than any flourless dessert I’ve ever made (as opposed to gooey/fudgelike). They were fabulous! Throw on some frosting, and you have a pretty darn delicious dessert. If you’re dairy free too, just substitute your butter replacement (I like smart balance) and it should work just fine!Print
Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate (1/2 cup chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chopped into pieces
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
- cupcake liners
- 4 ounces regular cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and chocolate and melt in 30 second increments until the butter is completely melted.
- Whisk until the chocolate is also melted, and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the brown sugar and salt, then eggs, until smooth.
- Sift the cocoa powder and espresso powder into the mixture, and mix until combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
- Bake until the tops are set, about 15 minutes.
- Let fully cool before frosting.
- For frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter together in a stand mixer. Mix until fully incorporated, light, and fluffy. Add the cocoa powder, then powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth, then divide evenly among cupcakes.