This title seems way too long. You’ll have to forgive me – I couldn’t leave any of it out though, right? It just wouldn’t be fair to call this a “Bacon, Spinach and Pineapple Pizza” when the crispy onions and basil are significant contributing factors here! I’m trying to be fair to all the ingredients, they all deserve a little recognition now and again.
I make pizza about once a week, and generally we do the exact same thing: andouille sausage, spinach, pineapple, and plenty of cheese. I love this pizza. Love. Which is weird, because as a kid I strongly disliked pizza with sausage and/or pineapple on it. Sometimes I swap the sausage for bacon. I think I learned that pineapple is the secret ingredient to anything (#1 being PASTA!), and therefore opened my eyes to the possibilities! Oh how life has changed.
This pizza is pretty perfect: enough ingredients to keep you excited, but not too many to weigh it down. I always use my homemade pizza dough, which is the other secret to a fabulous pizza. The crispy onions on here were half experiment, half luck – I thought I would just caramelize them, but then I (purposefully) left them cooking to get them a bit blackened. They were super tasty! I love blackened fish, burnt cheese, crispy edges to a medium-rare steak – call me weird, but I love a little burn on my food. These onions gave the pizza a bit of a crunch, with an almost smokey taste on top of the onion. Delicious. Try it.
The rest of the pizza is rather self-explanitory – bacon (yum), pineapple (essential), spinach (my favorite), lots of cheese (duh), and basil (heck yes). I may or may not have a slight OCD reaction to making pizza, and by that I mean I usually place each individual piece of meat/pineapple/basil so that everything is perfectly distributed. It makes for maximum pleasure in each bite! Trust me on this. I tried to relax a little and be normal while making this pizza – I semi-succeeded… feel free to express your eccentricities while making your own.
A variation on the classic Hawaiian pizza with sweet, crispy onions.
- 1/2 recipe of Pizza Dough
- 1/4 lb thick cut bacon (about 5 slices), chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/3 cup pineapple tidbits
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 large basil leaves, sliced
- 3 cups shredded low-moisture mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 500 F. If you’re using a pizza stone, place it in the oven before heating the oven.
- Cook the bacon, and keep the grease in the pan. Cook the onions in the bacon grease until blackened and crispy.
- Roll or toss your dough into your desired shape, and place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Spread 1 cup of cheese across the dough, then layer spinach, pineapple, bacon, onion, and basil. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. It’ll go quick!