But really, we’re on a diet. For one month. Not a crazy regimented thing like paleo or Atkins or whatever, we’re definitely making our own rules. The rules are: no sugar. WHAAAT!?
In reality, the rules are: no sugar, 6 days per week. On that seventh day, we can go CRAZY. Pixie sticks all day long. I have so many delicious things planned for our first cheat day this Saturday! Just you wait.
So this diet is mostly an experiment. We eat a lot of sugar, which we can all admit is probably not the healthiest choice in the world. We were curious: what would happen if we didn’t? How would we feel? It also wouldn’t hurt to lose the little pudge we’ve both packed on in the last few months… So, experiment we shall.
Yesterday was our first REAL day of the diet (Sunday was a quasi-real day), and I think it was before noon that Derek texted me “omg I need some chocolate.” HA! Of course I texted back “you woman!” He eats more chocolate than I do! Needless to say, this might not be an easy month. I’m missing muffins. And white bread. And white pasta.
My daily meals have definitely changed (I say this after two days of eating this way). This salad? Awesome. I made this Monday for lunch/dinner, and was pretty darn impressed. You know we’re not salad people. We eat our salad on pizza. This salad, with the hot (and sweet!) sweet potatoes, was perfect. Not to mention the dressing! Holy dressing! I’m on a miso (and sweet potato) kick. I can’t stop. So, I can’t imagine what diet you’re on that doesn’t allow this salad. You should get on it, asap.
**for full disclosure on this “diet” – we’re not being super type A about it. We’re eating things like fruit and sweet potatoes (obviously), and pretty much whatever we want except added sugar, fake sugar, white starches, and obviously SUGARY items. I miss my ice cream.Print
Sweet Potato Salad with Lime Miso Dressing
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- 2 sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cubed in 1/2″ cubes
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- salt + pepper
- 1/4 cup white miso
- 2″ chunk of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cups salad greens (I used spinach and herb mix)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Rinse and dry the sweet potato cubes, then toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Spread on a baking sheet (NOT touching each other), and bake for 30 minutes. Flip after 15 minutes. If they aren’t quite soft enough yet, cook at 5 minute increments until fork-tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, make the salad dressing. Combine the miso, grated ginger, remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil, and water. Using an immersion blender (or normal blender), blend until smooth.
- Stir in the lime juice and shallot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the salad greens, almonds, avocado, and sweet potato cubes, with the dressing. Enjoy!